The Breed Barn has seized the opportunity with the virtual festival format to bring you a variety of breed talks through a series of videos and podcasts. Due to our online platform we are also able to add breeds and breeders normally not found at the festival. Feel free to reach out to the various shepherdesses and shepherds if you have additional questions. They are always happy to talk sheep and shepherding.
A special thank you goes out to Rick & Elara Bowman of Backyard Green Films for their work on this endeavor. They have graciously provided their talents and time to offer you the greater majority of these videos and all of the podcasts listed because they love the agricultural community as much as all of you. Please follow them on YouTube and your Podcasting service.
Backyard Green Films can be found at https://backyardgreenfilms.com/ and on YouTube with their Backyard Green Films channel.
Live Virtual Events:
Beginning Shepherd Workshop:
Live Virtual Q & A
Saturday, October 17, 3:00-5:00 pm
Register to reserve your spot.
Included with admission ticket.
Do you have questions about raising sheep? Do you want to learn about different fleece types? Thinking about raising sheep for meat, dairy, or wool? Need to know how to house sheep, administer meds, trim hooves? Want to know where to find a shearer, a mill, someone to use your wool? Where do you even begin? Come and join fellow shepherds who will answer your questions and/or tell you where to find answers.
A Farm Of Our Own
Sunday, October 18, 1:00 - 3:00 pm
Register to reserve your spot.
Included with admission ticket.
Are you a BIPOC knitter, crocheter, spinner, or felter who loves sheepy, woolly, farm fiber? Do you dream of raising your own flock of sheep one day, and wonder if you'll find support as a BIPOC farmer? Let's have this conversation! Join us and meet some of the BIPOC sheep breeders and yarn producers in our fiber community. They'll share their stories of how they started out, the challenges they've met--in and out of the pasture, and what they've learned so far. Our goal is to create a BIPOC-centered discussion space. Due to the sensitivity of topics such as land access, and navigating in a predominantly white farming culture, this event is geared specifically to an audience of color.
Please follow this link to complete the questionaire prior to joining us on Sunday.
Video Presentations: scroll down or click on the listing
• Shave 'em to Save 'em • Yankee Clippers Shearing • Skirting a Fleece with Irina Lawrence •
• Tami Fuller, Fiber Artist • Barber Pole Worm with Dr Scott Bowdridge of West Virginia University •
• Border Leicester Sheep with Susie Wilson • Coopworth Sheep with the Pouder Family • Cormo Sheep at Wing and a Prayer Farm •
• Corriedale Sheep at Patchwork Pastures • Corriedale Sheep with Gary Veeder • Cotswold Sheep with Margret Thompson •
• CVM Romeldale Sheep with Heather Loomis • Finn Sheep with Siri Swanson • Gotland Sheep with Amy Corey • Gotland Sheep with Jennifer MacNeill •
• Herdwick Sheep with Erin Bradt • Jacob and Navajo Churro Sheep with Bide a Wee Farm • Katahdin Sheep with Matt DeVader •
• Lincoln Longwools with Prado de Lana, Part 1 • Lincoln Longwools with Prado de Lana, Part 2 •
• St. Croix Sheep with Shasta Ranch • Shetland Sheep with Judi Lehrhaupt •
• Shetland Sheep with Wing and a Prayer Farm • Teeswater Sheep with Virginia Scholomiti •
• Cormo, Shetland, and Valais Blacknose Sheep with Tammy White • Valais Blacknose Sheep Society •
• Valais Blacknose Project with the Dally's of Shepherd's Lane •
• Wensleydale Sheep with Jeri Robinson-Lawrence • Alpacas and Yaks with Bentwood Farm • The Donkey Ferrier • Donkey Symposium •
• NYS Sheep and Wool Festival 2019 • The Livestock Conservancy, Shave 'em to Save 'em •
To watch even more fabulous videos about agri-CULTURE subscribe to Backyard Green Films at https://backyardgreenfilms.com/
Podcast Links: brought to you by Backyard Green Films
Click a link, opens in new window, click play to listen and return to this window to browse our site while you listen!
40 Years of Rhinebeck!
Listen to the rich Oral History
45 min. NYS Sheep & Wool Festival. We Want Ewe - To Want - SHEEP (thank you, Cheap Trick)
32 min. NYS Sheep & Wool Festival, Part 2: More Things upon which to Ruminant
So many great episodes!
• Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head. And my Field, Dammit. • In A Big Country, There is a Little Sheep (meant to be sung) •
• Jeri and the Wensleydales: A Grand Day In • Bide a Wee Farm and the Wildest Sheep Yet! •
• Wing and a Prayer Farm: Dreaming in Black and White? Go Buy Valais. (The Metal Band Poster Sheep. Thank you, Slade.) •
• Shasta Ranch: A Close Shave, with No Knit-o-Matic Necessary (thank you, Wallace & Gromit) • Rocky Top Ranch •
• Sunny Hill Farm and the Great Yak Butter Tea Incident • Bentwood Alpacas & Yaks: The New Bos – Not the Same a the Old Bos •
• Donkey Welfare Symposium - A Wild Ass Weekend •
To listen to even more podcasts about agri-CULTURE subscribe to Backyard Green Films at https://backyardgreenfilms.com/
Tammy White from Wing and a Prayer Farm talks about various breeds including Shetland, Cormo, Valais Blacknose, and more
Contact your "regulars" from the breed barn:
• Heather Loomis, Bohlayer's Orchards • Nick Pouder, Mayapple Hill Farm • Siri Swanson, Yankee Rock Farm and Yankee Clippers Shearing •
• Judi Lehrhaupt, Ewe Can Do It Shetland Sheep • Bruce McCord, Ewe'll Wonder Farm • Max and Christine Crossman, Ewetopia Farm •
• Jeri Robinson-Lawrence, Flying Fibers • Phillip and Paula Garner, Hidden Hills Farms • Julie Jones, Jewl Tunis at Missing D Farm •
• Mary Stephens, Lucky Shot Livestock • Kim Mastrianni, Maple Frost Farm • Marie Minnich, Marushka Farms & National Romeldale Assoc •
• Jessica Rugar, No Field Farm • Meegan Veeder-Shave, Patchwork Pastures • Holly Partridge, Peartree Farm • Joy Dally, Shepherd's Lane •
• Catherine and Laurel Snook, Snook Farm • Christine Ahlseen, Tamarack Farm •
• Tammy White, Wing and a Prayer Farm • Amanda and Alberto Barcenas, Prado de Lana •
• Virginia Scholomiti, The Yellow Farm • Mother Kathryn, Zoar Farms, Holy Myrrhbearers •
• Ryan Walker, the Livestock Conservancy (Shave 'em to Save 'em) •
Special thanks to Backyard Green Films for sharing the majority of this footage and all of the podcasts.
Please visit and subscribe to their YouTube Channel and on your favorite Podcast app.